Merging the Four Founding Church Settlements

The potato yield from test fields with different amounts of chili nitrate (fertilizer).

 

The developments, that started at the end of the 19th century, were interrupted by the First World War (1914 - 1918). After the war, wages and prices rose, an agriculture crisis broke out, and industrialization continued. Shortly after the war, many municipalities in the province of North Brabant were merged or annexed to control the costs of the municipal apparatus. The merger of the villages of Oerle, Meerveldhoven, Veldhoven and Zeelst did not inspire much discussion. The new municipality of Veldhoven became official on May 1, 1921 and had over 4900 inhabitants. The number of inhabitants grew very quickly, to a population of 10,877 by 1950.

 

The Catholic Church experienced a period of prosperity during this period,  characterized by the concept of Rich Roman Life. New churches were built in Veldhoven, Oerle, Meerveldhoven, replacing the 19th century churches.

After the introduction of the Education Act of 1920, public education was largely taken over by the parishes. The parish boards had a great influence on the Roman Catholic education. From 1920 to 1940, the number of companies in the textile industry, shoe industry, and brickworks increased.

Brick factory De Koraal at the Blaarthemseweg in 1905. The location is now part of the Genderbeemd district of Eindhoven.

 

Before WW II, Welschap airfield had only a grass runway. The German occupier converted it into a fully-fledged airport.

 

Veldhoven was also characterized by brick factories, cigar factories and laundries. Employment increased within the municipality as a result. A number of workers were employed in the township of Strijp in the Philips factories. During the economic crisis of the 1930s, workers were kept at work by roads and cultivation of land.

Burial of the victims of the bombing of September 17, 1944.

 

A completely new undertaking that provided a new impulse for employment was the construction of the Welschap airfield, which was partly built on land belonging to Veldhoven. The importance of the airport increased after the Second World War. Unemployment further disappeared with the outbreak of the Second World War. However, the presence of an airport during the war was disadvantageous, because the site was seized by the German occupier. During the liberation, which began with Operation Market Garden, the artillery around Welschap airfield was bombed on September 17, 1944. This was necessary to allow a safe landing of paratroopers at the bridge in the town of Son. There were 19 fatalities in Zeelst that day. Veldhoven and Eindhoven were among the first places to be liberated on September 18, 1944.